Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Action! CINEMALAYA YEAR 6 Begins
In the spirit of independent expression, the Cinemalaya Awards seeks to discover, encourage and honor the cinematic works of Filipino filmmakers that boldly articulate and freely interpret the Filipino experience with fresh insight and artistic integrity.
The works will be:
* narrative features that articulate the Filipino identity and culture
* in digital video format-to take advantage of this new, more accessible technology
* open to both filmmakers who have not yet directed a full-length commercial film, and filmmakers who have directed not more than three full-length commercial films.
There will be two main categories
* Short Feature–from 15 to 20 minutes
* Full-Length Feature – from 90 to 120 minutes.
Ten finalists were selected for the Full-length Feature category while ten finalists were selected for the Short Feature category. In the Full-length Feature Film category, each of the ten finalists received a P500,000.00 seed grant from Cinemalaya Foundation, Inc. as investment for the production.
The Awards are:
* The Best Short Feature Film will receive a grant of P100,000.00 and the Balanghai Trophy.
* The Best Full-length Feature Film will receive a grant of P200,000.00 and the Balanghai Trophy. Awards for both categories will be given on 18 July 2009 at the Cultural Center of the Philippines.
A new section, the Open Category, is being introduced this year. This section features Filipino filmmakers who have directed at least three full-length feature films which have been released commercially. Five finalists were selected to compete in this category.