Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Milk

- SKRON
Radioactive Culture

I went out earlier to watch some movies. What I really wanted to see was Waltz With Bashir, an animated documentary about the conflicts in Israel. But, since it's a limited release, I couldn't find it on any theaters near my place. Instead, I just went with Milk and Slumdog Millionaire. Both of which are excellent films.

Milk is about the life and struggles of Harvey Milk, a gay rights activist and the first openly gay elected to become a public servant in California. This is a great movie. I know a lot of guys aren't comfortable watching films about gay. But I assure you, Milk won't give you any of that same awkwardness you had while watching Brokeback Mountain. No, none at all, because the story is much more focused on the political and social angle. It's about being yourself -being gay, brown, black, geek or dog poop picker- and having the rights to be yourself.

No comments: