Friday, July 11, 2008

Sex & the City


SEX & THE SHITTY
by Reymundo Salao


Before we dive in to the main review, I would just like to inform the few who follow my column (at the newspaper The Daily Guardian) that I am sorry my reviews weren’t around for around two weeks because I too was a victim of the menacing flood that Typhoon Frank caused. So, here I am, and I will be posting my “catch-up” reviews for “Wanted” and “Urduja” this coming week (maybe they will come out Tuesday or Wednesday, this Saturday next week though, I sure will spotlight the upcoming Dark Knight). Now, on to the review-proper…

If you are among those who adore Sex & the City like religion, I must warn you that this review will possibly offend you. Although I also watch the TV show before, I quickly got tired of it. The last episode of the show I watched was when the World Trade Center Towers was destroyed. I cut short my viewing and realized that there were more important things in the world than the lives of four fictitious discontented women.


When the movie was announced, I knew that it was either going to close the series with a grand ending or just try to be a mere marketing cash-cow. It was indeed just a cash-cow. Up from the first half hour, the movie was excruciating as it reveled in the joys of materialism. I could not stand the superficial side of the movie, that element that glorifies capitalist brand name obsession. That illness in most women who seem to get an orgasm at the mention of words like LouisVuitton or Prada. Ughh. I hate it.

Fortunately, the story eventually did move on to focusing on the drama of relationships. By this point, I remembered why I also was a frequent viewer of the show some years ago; because it had something to talk about, which is life and relationships in the modern world. Because this was "the movie", the story focuses on the dramatic turning-points on the lives of its main characters, Miranda has to get over the fact that her husband had slept with another woman, Charlotte is finally pregnant, Carrie is getting married with Big, and Samantha (well, just like any other season-ending episode of the series) has to realize there's more to a relationship than just sex.

The movie was fine actually. Unfortunately, it is not that impressive. Compared to the best episodes of the series which actually have some things more important or more meaningful to say, this movie version was just a flashy peacock parade of brand names and shallow glam. Worse is that oftentimes, the meaningless glam, and the religion of superficiality it preaches overshadows the storylines. In all its shallowness it even resorted to toilet humor. In very many ways this movie disgusts me. But then again, I do admit that this kind of movie wasn't meant for people like me. I was glad this movie is not showing anymore.

No comments: