Wednesday, September 27, 2006
MAXIMUM MOVIE INFO OVERLOAD (Junkie News)
A Scene from Frank Miller's "300"
It already has been a while since the list of movies for this December's Metro Manila Film Festival has been announced, and THANK GOD it seems to line up projects that do not seem to be garbage-oriented as last year's MMFF. Anyway, let me do away with the bad projects and highlight the projects that I trust.
-CM Films: Mga Batang Maynila (action/comedy), starring Cesar Montano, Sunshine Cruz; director, Cesar Montano. -- Ever since I saw his work in "Panaghoy Sa Suba" I have grown a whole new trust and respect in Cesar Montano's ability as a filmmaker. I will surely watch out for this movie.
-Earth Moving Pictures: Someone Who Cares (drama/romance), director, Elwood Perez.
-JMCN Productions: Bidasari (drama), Sid Lucero and Katherine Luna; director, Mario O’Hara.
-Unitel: Inang Yaya, Maricel Soriano; director, Pablo Biglang Awa. --if there's one film company that i trust, it's UNITEL. Having a track record of being responsible for the best Pinoy films that have come out since the start of the new millenium, you can trust that Unitel is the last hope for Pinoy Film Industry Redemption (Let me exempt "Pinoy Blonde" because that was ONE Unitel movie that proved to be just plain pretentious)
-Unitel: Blockout, Robin Padilla and Iza Calzado; director, Ato Bautista. --it was in a Unitel movie that Robin had a breakthrough role in "La Visa Loca" It gave us a more mature (in terms of acting) Robin. Robin is indeed a great actor, he just needs a good project.
- Now let's move on to movie news that many of you may not have known yet; The sequel to Chris Nolan's phenomenally successful "Batman Begins" now has a title: "THE DARK KNIGHT" will see the return of Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, and the rest of the Batman Begins cast (who didn’t die in the last movie, except Katie Holmes who wouldn’t appear in the sequel). The villain for the Batman sequel will feature The JOKER which will be portrayed by the talented Heath Ledger, sure, he may not look the part, but with his talent, and the serious style of Chris Nolan, THE DARK KNIGHT is surely something that I have high hopes for. The portrayal of the Joker will be this time, close to the comics with hints taken from the Graphic Novel "Batman: The Killing Joke" and other well-known Batman tales.
- The sequel to Fantastic Four will be entitled "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" and obviously will feature the introduction of the Silver Surfer and Galactus. It sure promises to be big. Why? For you non-comic-geeks, FYI: Galactus is a character who EATS PLANETS. Dig that. Dr. Doom will be back too.
- After Paramount Pictures has fired Tom Cruise, it seems that the new actor to lead on the next installment of the MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE movies will be Brad Pitt. It seems that Paramount executives are planning to introduce a new character to lead a new team & replace the character of Ethan Hunt. But then again, I think the damage has been done, now, people think of Mission Impossible as a high octane action flick instead of a purely espionage movie that it really should be.
- Despite becoming the biggest movie failure of the year, "Superman Returns" would have a sequel, as it was announced by studio executives months ago. Executives obviously admit their fault with the failure of SR as they promise that the next movie will have "more action this time"
The Lambasting of the highly pathetic Superman Returns movie continues with such websites as http://singerssupermansucks.blogspot.com/ and http://www.dailyramblings.com/ramblings/877.php
- The director of Transporter & Unleashed (Danny the Dog) is set out to direct the next HULK movie entitled THE INCREDIBLE HULK. But it is not yet confirmed if it is going to be a sequel or a re-start of the Hulk franchise. But what is sure though is that it will feature the villain known as "Abomination" and the movie will be entitled "THE INCREDIBLE HULK" On the other hand, John Favreau will be directing the "IRON MAN" movie which is also set to be released on 2008 along with “Hulk” In addition, there are talks of future projects involving Marvel characters which include: The Sub-mariner, Nick Fury, Thor, Ant-man, & Captain America
- Another work by the master dark & gritty comicbook writer Frank Miller (Sin City) is coming to the big screen. Frank Miller’s “300” is directed by Zack Snyder, and it will be released on March 2007. Based on the epic graphic novel by Miller, 300 is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Facing insurmountable odds, the Spartans’ valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite against their Persian enemy, drawing a line in the sand for democracy. The film brings Miller’s (Sin City) acclaimed Dark Horse graphic novel to life by combining live action with virtual backgrounds that capture his distinct vision of this ancient historic tale. Think of it as a “non-gay version of the movie Troy” This one promises to be more brutal and more sword, blood, and guts epic. Hey, if it’s Frank Miller, it’s gotta be Bloody.
- On weird movie news, Ridley Scott and Russel Crowe are in talks to make a "GLADIATOR" Sequel...HUH? Gladiator was a great movie...why would they even try to mess with a sequel which could only ruin the integrity of the first movie?! Scott & Crowe seems to have blown their own nuts off. What are they going to do? have a Maximus cyborg...Vader-style?